Residential Program for Boys with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
Eagleton School has been working with students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) for years with great success. As more and more children are being diagnosed with ASD, Eagleton has refined its techniques to work with this ever-increasing population. The integration of UniFy, ABA, NAPPI, and Eagleton’s pragmatic approach to ASD is a unique methodology in which the student becomes a participant-observer in his own program which allows for successful growth and adaptation. Children with ASD vary widely in abilities, intelligence and behaviors.
Characteristics of Autism Spectrum Disorder
1. Communication problems – pedantic and monotonic speech, difficulty using and understanding language, language that often includes repeated phrases or conversations, difficulty with abstract concepts.
2. Social interaction problems – impaired social skills, difficulty in relating to people, objects and events, lack of social and emotional reciprocity, lack of spontaneous seeking to share, lack of enjoyment or interests with other people, impairment in nonverbal behaviors (eye gaze, facial expressions, body posture, gestures), deficiency in regulating and interpreting social interactions, failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental milestones often leading to social isolation and depression, and naïve, inappropriate one-sided social interactions (lack of empathy).
3. Stereotyped behaviors, interests and activities – unusual play with toys and other objects, repetitive play skills, a limited range of interests
4. Difficulties with changes in routine or familiar surroundings
5. Clumsy, ill-coordinated movements
6. Unusual responses to sensory information – loud noises, lights, certain textures of food or fabrics, adherence to specific, non-functional routines.
Eagleton School, Inc. has developed a comprehensive, strength-based ASD program. This includes a specialized classroom and residence emphasizing a caring, supportive community experience that allows each student the opportunity to learn about and enjoy social interactions, thereby enhancing his self-worth.
Features of the program emphasize:
- ABA trained staff
- Consistent, familiar routines
- Adaptive relaxation and recreational activities
- Cooperative play
- Intense reinforcing of nonverbal learning and behaviors
- Repetitive modeling of independent living skills
- Highly trained staff using a positive behavioral approach
- NAPPI (Non Abusive Psychological and Physical Intervention) trained staff
- Residences include single rooms with intense structure and supervision
- Masters level clinician leads social skills groups within the residence
- Comprehensive Family Therapy/Involvement: UniFy program (Understanding Family)-Multiple Family Therapy, Adventure Based Counseling, Parent Enrichment Training, Mental Health Therapeutics (understanding diagnoses, medication, treatments), Community Resources/Transition Planning, Therapeutic Relaxation (activities, art therapy, music and dance therapy, bowling, community meal preparation, etc.) Eagleton School assists with transportation and lodging when needed.
- ASD specific dorm and classroom